What's New in Workforce Investment?
Workforce Investment News Archive
Federal-State Unemployment Insurance (UI) Program; ETA Seeks Comments on NPRM on Data Exchange Standardization
Feb 25, 2013
The Employment and Training Administration has proposed to designate in regulation data exchange standards, developed in consultation with an interagency work group established by the Office of Management and Budget), for Unemployment Insurance (UI) administration. This action was required by amendments to Title IX of the Social Security Act (SSA) made by the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012 (the Act). This proposed regulation would establish data exchange standards for three categories of information:
- real-time applications on the Interstate Connection Network (ICON);
- the State Information Data Exchange System (SIDES); and
- implementation of the standards identified for ICON and SIDES in major Information Technology (IT) modernization projects to upgrade UI Benefits and Tax systems by State Workforce Agencies (SWAs) using Federal funds.
The February 25, 2012 FEDERAL REGISTER contains the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking. Comments are due by April 26, 2013
The NPRM preamble contains:
- Background--provides a brief description of the development of the proposed rule.
- Section-by-Section Review--summarizes and discusses the proposed regulations.
- Administrative Information--sets forth the applicable regulatory requirements.
Part 619 – Unemployment Compensation Data Exchange Standardization for Improved Interoperability
619.2 Data exchange standardization for ICON.
619.3 Data exchange standardization for SIDES.
619.4 Data exchange standardization for the UI Benefits and Tax Systems.